APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
Port of Oakland Employees Scholarship Fund
Application Now Closed
DEADLINE: March 2, 2018
WHO CAN APPLY:
1) Oakland Unified high school seniors (district or charter)
2) Children of Port of Oakland Employees
Awards are made to students attending a community college, vocational/trade school or 4-year college / university.
Application requires the following:
- Student Aid Report** from their 2018-19 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application (**DACA, permanent residency or citizenship not required)
- School Transcript
- Community Engagement Essay (250-300 words)
- Personal Statement (750 words)
- Letter of Recommendation (some awards require 2 letters)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions.
Asian Employees Association (AEA) Scholarship
Application Now Closed
DEADLINE: March 16, 2018
Award Amount: Up to $5,000
Requirements for Scholarship Applicants:
- High school senior of any ethnicity currently enrolled in a public, charter or private high school in Oakland, or a high school senior who is a child of a Port of Oakland employee
- (Children of Port of Oakland employees may apply even if they reside and attend a high school outside of Oakland)
- Minimum overall weighted GPA of 3.0 (B average)
- Intends to pursue a bachelor’s degree at a four year accredited university or college on a full-time basis
- For additional information on how to apply, please visit, https://portaea.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/2018-scholarship-program-instructions.pdf
About Our Scholarships:
Investing in the future of our youth is one way we're building sustainable communities. Through the Port of Oakland Employees Scholarship Program and the Port's chapter of the Asian Employees Association (AEA), we honor Oakland high school students and qualified children of Port of Oakland employees with scholarships in the amount of up to $5,000. The Port of Oakland’s two employee scholarship organizations have reached a milestone in 2016, by surpassing the $1 million mark in scholarships for students. Over the past 20 years, Port employees have given 600 Oakland high school students $1.1 million in scholarship funds.
Port of Oakland Chapter of the Asian Employee Association: The AEA is a non-profit organization founded by a group of Port employees in 1991. The goals of AEA are to inspire and reward outstanding academic achievement among our Oakland high school students as well as children of current Port of Oakland employees. To date, the AEA has awarded over 200 scholarships totaling over $300,000. For more information, visit: https://portaea.wordpress.com/
About the Port of Oakland Employees Scholarship Program: Since 1994, the Port of Oakland Employees Scholarship Program has awarded 374 scholarships totaling $850,000. Scholarships are administered through the Marcus Foster Education Institute. Every year employees raise funds through an annual golf tournament and employee contributions made during the Port's annual Giving Campaign.