Port of Oakland: there they go again – exports up 11.5 percent
Third straight month of double-digit growth in volume, despite dollar’s strength
Oakland, Calif. – Dec. 13, 2016: There’s no stopping the export rally at the Port of Oakland. The Port said today that containerized export volume increased 11.5 percent in November from the same period last year. It was the third straight month of double digit growth and the 10th time exports have risen this year.
The Port said exports are surging despite a strengthening dollar that makes American products more expensive overseas. Strong Asian demand for California farm products, wine and other beverages is spurring the rally, the Port said.
“If you listen to conventional wisdom, exports should be facing headwinds,” said Maritime Director John Driscoll. “But the clamor overseas for high-quality American commodities hasn’t peaked, so our volumes keep climbing.”
The Port said it shipped the equivalent of 85,915 20-foot export containers last month. That was the second-highest total of 2016.
Through 11 months of this year Oakland export volume is up 10.3 percent. Containerized imports are up 4.5 percent. Total loaded container volume has increased 7.4 percent.
The Port said exports have accounted for 52 percent of its loaded cargo volume in 2016. Imports account for the other 48 percent.
Click here to see complete cargo statistics
About the Port of Oakland
The Port of Oakland oversees the Oakland seaport, Oakland International Airport, and 20 miles of waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 73,000 jobs in the region and nearly 827,000 jobs across the United States. Connect with the Port of Oakland and Oakland International Airport through Facebook, or with the Port on Twitter, YouTube, and at www.portofoakland.com.
Port of Oakland
Port of Oakland
Click here to contact Marilyn Sandifur