OAK passenger traffic at 79% of pre-pandemic levels in February 2022
Closest return to pre-pandemic level in the Bay Area so far
Oakland, Calif. – March 23, 2022: February marks the highest return to pre-pandemic passenger levels since the beginning of the pandemic. The next highest month for percent return was November 2021, when total passengers reached 77 percent of what was seen pre-pandemic.
February 2022 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 667,483 total passengers in February 2022. This represents 79 percent of the pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in February 2020.
- In February, a total of 335,145 passengers departed OAK’s runways. Of those, 56,229 were connecting.
- There were 13,138 international passengers that arrived at OAK in February.
- The airport saw February passenger traffic jump by 118.5 percent compared to February 2021 when just 305,463 passengers were carried.
- On a rolling twelve-month basis, traffic is up by 108.3 percent with 8,504,340 passengers this year compared to 4,081,916 during the same period a year ago.
- 96.7 million pounds of air cargo were transported in February, up 2.2 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
“Based on the statistics we have seen so far this year, the outlook for passenger traffic at OAK is steadily improving,” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “With several exciting new airline route announcements, more passengers in the terminals, and travelers making plans for summer getaways, we aim to continue on the current trajectory throughout 2022.”
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Kaley Skantz – Airport Spokesperson Click here to contact Kaley Skantz