OAK’s January passenger traffic up 38 percent year-over-year
New year kicks off with new airline route announcements
Oakland, Calif. – March 1, 2023: In January of 2023, Oakland International Airport saw 819,955 passengers. There was year-over-year total passenger increase of 38.2 percent compared to January 2022.
“January is typically a slower month for air travel – but we can still see some significant growth in our passenger traffic compared to the same period last year,” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “Additionally, our airline partners have made some exciting OAK route announcements as of late, including Southwest Airline’s service to Baltimore (starting September) and St. Louis (starting April), and Spirit Airlines’ service to Dallas-Fort Worth (May). Later this month, Volaris El Salvador will begin their new international service to San Salvador from OAK. It’s an exciting time to Fly the East Bay Way!”
January 2023 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 819,955 total passengers in January 2023. This represents a 38.2 percent increase year over year compared to January 2022 when 593,240 passengers were carried.
- A total of 400,776 passengers departed on flights from OAK’s runways in January, with 61,408 of those connecting at OAK.
- 20,940 international passengers that arrived at OAK in January.
- On a twelve-month rolling basis, traffic is up by 150.2 percent with 11,372,944 passengers this year compared to 4,545,020 during the same period a year ago.
- 86.3 million pounds (approximately 39.1 million kilograms) of air cargo were transported in January at OAK, down by 13.2 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com.
Contact - Members of the Press and Media Only
Kaley Skantz - Airport Spokesperson, email@example.com
Media On-Site Request & Parking Form: https://www.oaklandairport.com/media-on-site-request-form/