Oakland International Airport reports May traffic results
Passenger traffic up with a month-to-month increase of 22.8 percent
Oakland, Calif. - June 23, 2021: Oakland International Airport, the second busiest airport in the San Francisco Bay Area, reports continued passenger and cargo traffic growth for May 2021.
In May 2021, passenger traffic at Oakland International Airport (OAK) increased 22.8 percent from what was reported for April 2021. The airport saw 136,011 more passengers than it did in April. Air cargo was up 7.7 percent compared to May 2020.
April 2021 passenger and cargo statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 733,293 total passengers in May 2021, up 22.8 percent from April 2021 with 597,282 passengers.
- In May, a total of 317,946 passengers departed OAK’s runways. Of those, 48,503 were connecting.
- There were 12,811 international arriving passengers in May.
- As vaccination rates grow and summer travel bookings increase, the airport saw May passenger traffic jump by 594.5 percent compared to May 2020 when just 105,593 passengers were carried.
- On a rolling twelve-month basis, while in recovery, traffic is still off by 55.4 percent with 4,661,998 passengers this year compared to 10,460,409 during the same period a year ago.
- 110.8 million pounds of air cargo was transported, up 7.7 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
“It is encouraging to see our passenger levels increasing as the summer travel season approaches,” said Bryant L. Francis, Port of Oakland Director of Aviation. “With restrictions being lifted and demand for travel on the rise, we hope to sustain this level of growth in the coming months.”
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact. Updates about travel during the COVID19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Roberto Bernardo, Acting Communications Director
Port of Oakland
Kaley Skantz, Spokesperson
Oakland International Airport
OAK 24-Hour Media Hotline: 510.563.6500