Oakland International Airport passenger count up 15 percent month-to-month
Strong spring travel demand at OAK
Oakland, Calif. – May 3, 2023: In March of 2023, Oakland International Airport saw 912,916 passengers, an increase of 15 percent from the prior month. There was year-over-year total passenger increase of 10.0 percent compared to March 2022. This represents approximately 83.3 percent of pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in 2019.
“Travel over the spring break period was strong this year, building significantly from February to March,” says Craig Simon, Acting Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “We anticipate that strong demand will continue into the summer as new flights are offered to New York/Newark, Philadelphia, and Dallas/Fort Worth on Spirit Airlines.”
March 2023 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 912,916 total passengers in March 2023, an increase of nearly 15 percent compared to the prior month. This represents a 10.0 percent increase year over year compared to March 2022 when 830,337 passengers were carried.
- A total of 459,981 passengers departed on flights from OAK’s runways in March, with 76,547 of those connecting at OAK.
- 19,100 international passengers arrived at OAK in March.
- On a twelve-month rolling basis, traffic is up by 33.6 percent with 11,582,388 passengers this year compared to 8,667,194 during the same period a year ago.
- 97.7 million pounds (approximately 44.3 million kilograms) of air cargo were transported in March at OAK, down by 15.1 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com.
Contact - Members of the Press and Media Only
Kaley Skantz - Airport Spokesperson, [email protected]
Media On-Site Request & Parking Form: https://www.oaklandairport.com/media-on-site-request-form/