OAK surpasses 1 million passengers once again in August 2022
Highest return of traffic so far at 91.4 percent of August 2019
Oakland, Calif. – October 4, 2022: In August of 2022, Oakland International Airport saw over one million total passengers for the third month in a row. Additionally, passenger totals reached 91.4 percent of 2019 levels. This is the highest percent return seen so far at OAK since the start of the pandemic.
“The traffic OAK has experienced throughout the summer of 2022 has been extremely encouraging for us – particularly passing the one million mark for three consecutive months.” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “I would like to thank every member of the airport team for their collective hard work during the busy summer months to ensure that passengers reached their destinations safely and had a pleasant experience when they chose to Fly the East Bay Way.”
August 2022 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 1,086,598 total passengers in August 2022. This represents 91.4 percent of the pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in August 2019.
- The airport saw August passenger traffic jump by 33.4 percent compared to August 2021 when 814,738 passengers were carried.
- A total of 534,655 passengers departed on flights from OAK’s runways in August, with 97,554 of those connecting.
- There were 18,740 international passengers that arrived at OAK in August.
- On a twelve-month rolling basis, traffic is up by 64.2 percent with 8,414,180 passengers this year compared to 5,123,471 during the same period a year ago.
- Nearly 107.0 million pounds (approximately 48.5 million kilograms) of air cargo were transported in August at OAK, down by 7.9 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com.
Contact - Members of the Press and Media Only
Kaley Skantz - Airport Spokesperson, email@example.com
Media On-Site Request & Parking Form: https://www.oaklandairport.com/media-on-site-request-form/