OAK surpasses 1 million monthly passengers in June 2022
The first time since December 2019
Oakland, Calif. – July 25, 2022: Oakland International Airport has reached another pandemic recovery milestone with over one million travelers passing through its terminals in June 2022 – a first since December 2019. Passenger traffic in June was significantly higher than May, with a month-to-month increase of over 15 percent. Additionally, passenger totals reached 86.7 percent of 2019 levels – the highest percent return seen since the start of the pandemic.
“The recovery of passenger traffic at OAK remains strong, and we especially saw that in the month of June as we passed the one million passenger mark,” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “Based on performance seen so far this season, we expect this upward trend to continue through the balance of the summer travel season.”
June 2022 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 1,059,639 total passengers in June 2022. This represents 86.7 percent of the pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in June 2019, and a month-to-month increase of 15.4 percent compared to May 2022.
- The airport saw June passenger traffic jump by 29.9 percent compared to June 2021 when 815,935 passengers were carried.
- A total of 540,342 passengers departed on flights from OAK’s runways in June, with 89,285 of those connecting.
- There were 12,712 international passengers that arrived at OAK in June.
- On a twelve-month rolling basis, traffic is up by 61.8 percent with 8,386,024 passengers this year compared to 5,182,912 during the same period a year ago.
- 115.0 million pounds (approximately 52 million kilograms) of air cargo were transported in June at OAK, down slightly by 3.8 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all the region’s business, entertainment, and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping, and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Kaley Skantz – Airport Spokesperson
Click here to contact Kaley Skantz
Media On-Site Request & Parking Form: https://www.oaklandairport.com/media-on-site-request-form/