OAK exceeds 1 million passengers for second consecutive month
Over 90 percent of pre-pandemic traffic and a big jump in international arrivals
Oakland, Calif. – August 31, 2022: In July 2022, Oakland International Airport saw its second consecutive month of total passenger traffic exceeding one million. Passenger traffic in July was higher than June, with a month-to-month increase of over 5.5 percent. Additionally, passenger totals reached 90.7 percent of 2019 levels. This is the highest percent return seen since the start of the pandemic, and significantly higher than the previous record of 86.7 percent that was observed in June.
“Air travel demand in the San Francisco Bay Area is very clearly the strongest it has been since the start of the pandemic,” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “We expect to finish out the summer travel season with a strong August and Labor Day weekend as well. We thank everyone for choosing to Fly the East Bay Way this summer and hope to see everyone again soon.”
July 2022 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 1,118,213 total passengers in July 2022. This represents 90.7 percent of the pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in July 2019, and a month-to-month increase of 5.5 percent compared to June 2022.
- The airport saw July passenger traffic jump by 25.1 percent compared to July 2021 when 893,736 passengers were carried.
- A total of 559,005 passengers departed on flights from OAK’s runways in July, with 99,104 of those connecting.
- There were 17,254 international passengers that arrived at OAK in July. This is a month-to-month increase of 35.7 percent compared to June due to additional flights by Volaris from Mexico and seasonal service by Azores Airlines from Portugal.
- On a twelve-month rolling basis, traffic is up by 61.7 percent with 8,366,797 passengers this year compared to 5,173,934 during the same period a year ago.
- 101.5 million pounds (approximately 46 million kilograms) of air cargo were transported in July at OAK, down by 11.7 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Contact - Members of the Press and Media Only
Kaley Skantz - Airport Spokesperson, Click here to contact Kaley Skantz
Media On-Site Request & Parking Form: https://www.oaklandairport.com/media-on-site-request-form/