March passenger traffic at OAK increases by 24.4 percent month-to-month
OAK continues to show highest return of pre-pandemic travel in the Bay at 76 percent
Oakland, Calif. – May 10, 2022: Spring travel is kicking off at Oakland International Airport, with over 830,000 passengers served in March of 2022. OAK continues to trend above other Bay area airports in the return to pre-pandemic traffic levels at nearly 76 percent. A comparison graph is shown below.
March 2022 Passenger and Cargo Statistics
- Oakland International Airport saw 830,337 total passengers in March 2022. This represents 75.8 percent of the pre-pandemic passenger levels seen in March 2019, and a month-to-month increase of 24.4 percent.
- The airport saw March passenger traffic jump by 70.3 percent compared to March 2021 when just 487,610 passengers were carried. Nearly twice as many passengers flew through OAK in March of 2022 compared to two years ago in March of 2020.
- In March, a total of 419,867 passengers departed OAK’s runways. Of those, 68,146 were connecting.
- There were 14,870 international passengers that arrived at OAK in March.
- On a rolling twelve-month basis, traffic is up by 89.6 percent with 8,485,047 passengers this year compared to 4,475,693 during the same period a year ago.
- 115.0 million pounds of air cargo were transported in March, down slightly by 0.9 percent in a year-over-year comparison.
“Travel demand is on the rise here in the Bay area, and this seems to be particularly true here at OAK,” says Bryant L. Francis, Director of Aviation at the Port of Oakland. “We continue to trend above other Bay area airports as it relates to the percent return of pre-pandemic traffic. We thank the members of our community for choosing to Fly the East Bay Way, and we encourage them to continue to Fly Oakland First for their travels this spring and summer.”
About Oakland International Airport
Oakland International is the main airport for the greater East Bay, the most populated area in the metropolitan San Francisco Bay area. It is the closest airport to most Bay Area employers. By roadway and BART air-rail, OAK enables excellent access to all of the region’s business, entertainment and tourism venues. The vision of Oakland International Airport is to be the airport of choice for San Francisco Bay Area residents and visitors alike. OAK is operated by the Port of Oakland, which also oversees the Oakland seaport and 20 miles of East Bay waterfront. Together with its business partners, the Port supports more than 84,000 jobs in the region with more than a $130 billion economic impact.
Updates about travel during the COVID19 pandemic, current departure and arrival information, airport maps, and details about on-airport parking, shopping and dining and more, can be found at www.oaklandairport.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Kaley Skantz – Airport Spokesperson Click here to contact Kaley Skantz