[Skip to Content]
Port of Oakland Mobile Logo
Full Menu

timeline_slider_post

May 1, 1951

Formal dedication of Jack London Square by the Oakland Board of Port Commissioners to coincide with the 99th birthday of the City of Oakland. The oldest building at Jack London Square is Heinhold’s First and Last Chance Saloon, which opened in the 1880s. This tavern still stands today.

Read Full Article...

December 8, 1941

Oakland Army Base commissioned during WWII and thousands of soldiers and 25 million tons of supplies flow through the Port. The Oakland Naval Supply Depot located in the Port’s Middle Harbor area is a major source of supplies and materials for ships operating in the Pacific.

Read Full Article...

January 11, 1935

American aviator Amelia Earhart successfully pilots the first solo crossing between Hawaii to North America, touching down at Oakland Municipal Airport. Earhart already held the distinction of being the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean from Canada to Ireland.

Read Full Article...

September 17, 1927

Official dedication of the Oakland Municipal Airport, which at the time was a field and one long runway on Bay Farm Island. The first scheduled airline at Oakland Airport was Boeing Air Transport.

Read Full Article...

February 12, 1927

The Port of Oakland is born. The first Oakland Board of Port Commissioners is sworn in, with Roscoe D. Jones serving as the first Board President. The Port’s first Executive Director is Gustave Hegardt.

Read Full Article...