All Licensed Motor Carriers (LMCs) conducting business at the Port of Oakland (Port) maritime facilities (Seaport) must file a Secure Truck Enrollment Program (STEP) Agreement with the Port as set forth in Port ordinance 4112 and in accordance with the requirements of the Port’s Comprehensive Truck Management Plan (CTMP).
STEP Agreements should be completed and returned to the Port according to the following process:
- Scroll down to read the STEP Agreement terms and conditions, enter in the required fields and complete – provide any other information and submit. Otherwise, download the STEP Agreement application form from the Port of Oakland website at www.portofoakland.com/maritime/ctmp.asp and follow the link to Port Registry. If you do not have web access or are having difficulty downloading the form, please email email@example.com or contact the Ports Customer Service Center (CSC) at (510) 267‐1801 or (510) 267-1802
- Fill in all the required information about your company. The information can be handwritten but be sure you provide ALL the requested information including the table labeled “Licensed Motor Carrier Information” at the end of the Agreement. This information is very important because it will be used to communicate directly with you and to send you further documents as part of the STEP Registration process.
- Sign the Agreement where indicated and remember to make a copy of the Agreement for your records.
- Mail your completed Agreement to the person/address indicated below. The Port requires your Agreement be returned by U.S. mail with an original signature. A photocopied document will not be accepted.
Port of Oakland
Attention: Troy Hosmer, Port Facilities Security Officer
530 Water Street
Oakland, CA 94607
What happens after the Port receives my STEP Agreement application?
- The Port will review your STEP Agreement application form for completeness.
- If Port Staff determines you have correctly completed the STEP Agreement application, you will receive an email confirmation notice. The confirmation notice will be sent to the point of contact you provided in your STEP Agreement. If you have NOT correctly completed the STEP Agreement application then you will be contacted by a Port Registry Customer Service Representative.
- Once your STEP agreement application has been approved, you will receive a second email with your ‘User ID’ & ‘Password’ information to enable you to access the Oakland Port Registry. Please follow the instructions provided in this email to verify your Company account and change your password to something you can remember.
- Please access your Company account to enroll ALL the trucks and drivers you will be dispatching to the Port as soon as possible. The CSC will then issue STEP decals and STEP registration certificates for the trucks you have listed in the Port Registry.
- Effective January 1, 2011, ALL trucks serving the Port of Oakland must be able to demonstrate proof of STEP Registration when entering a Seaport facility.
Who can I contact if I have questions about this process?
Additional information about the Port of Oakland Secure Truck Enrollment Program (STEP) may be viewed online at www.portofoakland.com/maritime/ctmp.asp.
The Port has also established a Customer Service Center (CSC) at 1425 Maritime Street (near the intersection of Maritime Street & 14th Street) at the Port of Oakland. Customer Service representatives are available to answer your questions and to guide you through this process. Please contact a representative today at 510‐267‐1801 or -1802 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance today.
The Port of Oakland Customer Service Center (CSC)
Secure Truck Enrollment Program (STEP) & Port Registry
Main Telephone Line: (510) 267‐1801 or 510-267-1802
FAX: (510) 893‐1878, Email: email@example.com
Address: 1425 Maritime St, Oakland CA 94607
Hours of Operation: 7:00am to 4.00pm (Monday‐Friday)