The Port of Oakland’s benefit program ranks among the best in the region for public jurisdictions and is designed to reward performance and promote a balanced lifestyle, both at the workplace and away from the workplace, for our employees and their families. The Port is committed to the health and well-being of its employees and has been recognized as a FIT-Friendly Employer by the American Heart Association.
- The Port is part of the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). CalPERS is a defined pension provided to regular full-time employees that work for the Port. The CalPERS defined pension is based on predetermined formula that factors in an employee's earnings history, tenure of service and age. The retirement formula is 2% at 62 years of age or 2.5% at 55 for new hires with other CalPERS service and/or reciprocity.
- The Port offers retiree medical benefits for employees and dependents after 10 years of CalPERS service (including 5 years at the Port).
- The Port pays 100% of the premium cost for employees and dependent health insurance coverage not to exceed the Kaiser-HMO Family Plan; cash in lieu of medical benefit is also available.
- The Port pays 100% of the premium cost for dental and vision coverage.
- The Port pays 100% of the premium cost for Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage and reimburses employees for the State Disability Insurance.
- The Port pays 100% of the premium cost for life insurance at one-time annual salary with certain limits.
- The Port offers a pre-tax Deferred Compensation Plan allowing employees to save and invest money for retirement with tax benefits.
Time Away from Work
- From 2 to 5 weeks of vacation depending on years of employment at the Port.
- 10 days of management leave for employees exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- 1 paid Floating Holiday per year.
- 12 days of sick leave per year after three months of employment which includes 4 days of personal leave.
- 12 paid holidays as well as the second half of the shift on December 24 and December 31.
Please click here for a benefit summary of the Port of Oakland.
Human Resources Manager