How to Apply
Instructions for Completing a Paper Application
If you complete the fillable application on your computer, the document cannot be saved with your information. We recommend that before typing your responses, you print two blank copies and complete one by hand. When you're sure all the answers are complete, open the application file again and enter your responses on the form, then immediately print it, sign it and date it. Make a copy for your files before mailing your application materials.
WARNING: If you are unable to complete or print an online form, you are NOT relieved of the requirement to meet the final filing date requirement.
WE STRONGLY URGE THAT YOU COMPLETE YOUR PAPER APPLICATION AT LEAST ONE WEEK BEFORE THE FINAL FILING DATE IF YOU USE A WEBSITE FORM.
We also strongly recommend that you print one or two extra blank forms in case computer or printer problems force you to use a typewriter to meet the filing deadline. The Port of Oakland is not responsible for any failure by an applicant to meet filing deadlines.
TO FILL OUT THE PAPER APPLICATION
- Use month/day/year format for dates: (05/25/84).
- Use standard abbreviations where possible (i.e. Sr. for Senior, Mgr. for manager, St for Street, CA for California, etc.) If all of the characters you have typed do not show up on the form, the missing characters will not print. Go back and shorten or abbreviate your answer to fit. Font size cannot be changed in Acrobat Reader.
- Use the magnifying glass to increase (click once) or decrease (control+click) your view of the form
- Select the "hand" tool. Move the hand over the first blank on the form. The hand will turn into an "I-beam" cursor.
- Type the requested information. Press Tab to accept the change and to go to the next field.
- For check boxes, the hand will become an arrow. Click cursor to mark box.
- Press shift+tab to go to the previous field.
- Pressing Tab, Return, or Enter will accept the entry you've made and enter it on the form. If you do not press tab, return, or enter, the information you entered will not be accepted and will not print out.
- Once you have completed the form, print it, sign it, and make a photocopy for your files.
- When you mail the form, please do not include this page of instructions.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMITTING A PAPER APPLICATION
Submit a fully completed Port of Oakland Employment Application Packet to:
Port of Oakland
Personnel & Employee Service Department
530 Water Street, 3rd Floor
Oakland, CA 94607
Submit before the deadline requirement. NO POSTMARKS ACCEPTED.
Be sure to submit a supplemental questionnaire if applicable, supplemental questionnaires are located within the job posting under "Supplemental Questions".
The Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to select the most suitably qualified candidates.
Applications submitted without complete Supplemental Questionnaires WILL NOT BE GIVEN ANY CONSIDERATION.